Old Things: Cane Back Chair

July 6, 2012

I’ve wanted a cane back chair for years and years and one morning a few weeks ago I got up early and amidst coffee and craigslist I came across my perfect chair. It was a bit old and a bit worse for wear, but I’m eager to see past all that and make into the fab little chair I know it can be. I raced across town to pick it up from the owner (from her garage full of vintage lovelies!!) popped it in the Rabbit and got it home, all before husband had finished his first cup of coffee. Now that’s what I call productive on a Saturday!

Since then I’ve been pondering what to do with it. In my mind it really could be sprayed any color and reupholstered in any fabric. I’m taking an upholstery class in August and am reupholstering another chair, but am hoping my skills will translate to this chair as well. I totally fell for Brooke’s updated cane chair on her blog, Oh Brooke. (Although she wrote her final post on June 15th, I’m happy to still have her site as a resource for all things DIY.)

So what do you think? I’m thinking I want to spray it either white, grey, yellow or blue… I’m also trying to decide if I want to reupholster it in a solid like a white linen (not very cat friendly…) or other neutral or if I want to go with a bold pattern like Brooke did. Hmmm…

Have you ever given old furniture a makeover?

RSS Pinterest Twitter Facebook

{ 6 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Thrifted Shift July 6, 2012 at 9:59 am

I’m kind of a wuss when it comes to furniture because I feel like those decisions are forever. What about painting the chair the same color as the shelves in the background and upholstering in whatever is cute and will disguise your cat fur? Ok, sorry, that was the most boring idea ever. Good luck with the chair!
–Vivienne

2 Lindsay July 11, 2012 at 2:18 am

Thanks for sharing your ideas, Vivienne! I bought the chair to redo and it was fairly inexpensive so I’m not too shy about going for it with the design. Disguising the cat fur will definitely be high on the redo priority list, for sure. I think natural linen is out despite how much I love it. Thank you!

3 Sarah July 6, 2012 at 11:20 am

I vote painting it gray, but not an icky gray if you know what I mean – something with blue tones in it. Then upholster it in a bold pattern with blue. I’m jealous of your class, we have 2 gorgeous wingback chairs we received as hand-me-downs that are 80′s pink. I would love to reupholster them somehow.

4 Lindsay July 11, 2012 at 2:20 am

Thanks for sharing your ideas, Sarah. That’s a good point you made about choosing the right color grey. I have some blue pillows on my sofa across the room so something with blue would definitely tie it together. I’m taking the class at a local Pacific Fabrics store where they offer upholstery training. I bet you could find one in your area through a Google search. It’s so much cheaper than hiring it out.

5 Katherine Hill July 16, 2012 at 2:05 pm

ohhh! please do something. i wanna see!

6 how to reupholster a chair April 16, 2013 at 8:54 am

Also remove any foam or padding from the seat.
Use a whole lot of paint- Nothing spells spring than redesigning your home with the newest cans of colors.

Trim off excess fabrics.