Lindsay: I’ve gotten so many questions about my beauty routines lately that I thought I would make it into a series of posts. Each week I’ll highlight some of my favorite beauty products in different categories and provide links in case you see anything you’d like to try.
This week’s topic? Makeup. Whether you love it or hate it, no one can deny its powers in enhancing your natural beauty. Though I’m not one to take chances on new skincare products, makeup is where I try something new every time I have to replace something. I really like trying new colors, especially for lip color or eyeshadows. Here are a few of my makeup bag essentials.
1. Bare Escentuals Original Foundation in Fair I discovered Bare Escentuals when I spent a month in Taipei during grad school. My roommate, classmate and friend Carolyn uses it and I was mesmerized by her makeup routine. We were in Taiwan for the month of January 2010, but it was rainy, balmy weather. No matter how far we walked or how long and busy our days were, Carolyn always had that flawless, powdery finish. I bought my starter kit the week we got back to the U.S.
2. Sonia Kashuk Brow Brush I have naturally thick, dark eyebrows and this little brush does wonders at keeping them in line. I also use the eyelash side to separate sticky lashes.
3. Clinique Blushing Blush Powder Blush in Sunset Glow I use this color in the winter and a Bare Escentuals bronzer blush in the summer months. This shade works great with my skin tone. I also keep a compact of it in my handbag.
4. Clinique Color Surge Eye Shadow Super Shimmer in Daybreak I initially got this color in a free gift from Clinique and have been obsessed with it ever since. I always start my eyes by putting this under my brows and in the inner corner of my eyes. It’s the perfect amount of shimmer and glow.
5. NARS Velvet Matte Lipstick Pencil in Dragon Girl It doesn’t feel like a proper evening out without a deep red shade of lipstick. I have a couple favorites, but lately I’m loving this pinky-red color from NARS. For daytime I prefer a more natural shade like Clinique’s Delovely.
6. Clinique Color Surge Eye Shadow Quad in Pink Chocolates I switch eye shadows every season, or every time I run out of a color, I look for something new and different. In the past I’ve enjoyed wearing greys and blues to contrast against my brown eyes. This season I’ve been wearing a lot of pinks and browns like this set from Clinique.
7. Bare Escentuals Tapered Blush Brush I get brushes whenever I see one in a desirable shape. This one is my favorite for some of my Bare Escentuals products. I also have their foundation and concealer brushes.
8. Clinique Quickliner for Eyes in Very Black I try to throw on my makeup in under 5 minutes. Suffice it to say I’m not a morning person. I love this liner because it’s quick on and quick to wash off at night, too.
9. Bare Escentuals Mineral Veil Want a little dewey glow? This is the no fail way to get it. Just a bit of shimmer to give your face that light people will ask about.
10. Cover Girl Lash Blast Volume Mascara in Very Black As you can see I visit the department store makeup counter for most things. Mascara is the best place to save. I used to love Maybelline Great Lash, but my Mama introduced me to Lash Blast in 2007 and I’ve been a total convert ever since.
11. NARS Pencil Sharpener Since picking up a few NARS lip pencils this sharpener has been a total lifesaver.
12. Tweezerman Professional Slant Tweezer Simply the best. ‘Nuff said.
Check other posts in the Beauty Routines series: