Oh, you guys! June was a complete whirlwind, and July is nearly half over! I have been so incredibly busy, but having one of the best summers ever, honest and truly. As you may have seen in previous posts, I’ve been enjoying my recent trips to Austin. It’s such a wonderful city! One of the best parts (and one of the most challenging at times) is the insane heat! And what’s the best way to beat the heat? By lounging away the hours on a rooftop pool, of course.
swim top & swim bottoms, Target | t-shirt, GAP | jean shorts, GAP (on sale!) | sunglasses, DVF (also pretty)
I can’t say I’m one of those girls that loves bathing suit shopping. It can be tough to get out there and strut your stuff poolside, even when you’re feeling great about yourself. This year I’ve discovered a few things that make slipping into a suit a bit easier.
5 Ways to Feel More Confident in Your Bathing Suit
1. Try pale pastels. Truth be told, I haven’t worn a bikini in years! Honestly I’ve never been totally comfortable baring so much skin. I think the contrast of trying on bold colors, prints, or even black against my pale skin made me feel kinda…choppy? After trying many suits, I knew this ballet pink was just perfect against my pale skin, and elongated my frame in a way that others suits didn’t. If you have fair skin like me, try a similar shade to help you feel a bit more long and lean, even if you aren’t.
2. Find the perfect cut. One thing that’s always been tough for me is that I’m smaller on top than on bottom, making buying a one-piece suit somewhat challenging. I’m a real stickler for fit, so this has always driven me nuts! If it fits right in the top, it’s often too snug on bottom, and if it’s comfortable on bottom it’s often way too big in the top. One fortunate thing about opting for a bikini is that you can buy two different sizes. I bought a medium top and large bottom (junior sizing) for this Target suit and it really hugs all the right places. I also love the look of this little laser cut top. Plus, it’s got adjustable strings in the back that are pretty and functional.
3. Go ahead, get waxed. Shaving can really be the worst, right?? I got a bikini wax just once back when I was 20, had a terrible, painful experience and never wanted to do it again. Flash forward to this spring, and I was curious to give it another try… and this time it was completely different. I went to Waxing the City in the Ballard neighborhood of Seattle and worked with Nicole who was so caring and gentle. We chatted and laughed through the entire appointment and she made it low-stress and simple. Waxing the City uses a different kind of wax than other salons, making the process swift, comfortable, and much more painless. I’ve been back once and booked my August appointment already, too. I have to say I’m totally addicted to it now! I love Waxing the City so much that I’m giving away a $100 Gift Card to one lucky reader! (Keep reading to find the giveaway below.)
4. Drink lots of water. Did you know that 75% of Americans may be suffering from chronic dehydration? That statistic blows my mind, but honestly I totally believe it. So many of us move through our days without getting enough water in our systems. Dehydration can make you feel sick, headachy, bloated (as your body attempts to hold onto any bit of moisture you put into it) and definitely not beach ready. Plus the intense summer sun can strip your body of even more valuable water. Start toting that water bottle with you before, during, and after your outdoor adventures to look good and feel good.
5. Get a little sun. We’ve all heard that old saying that certain things look better tan. As someone who’s pretty pale, I’ve always hated that saying. But I must admit, after a few days in the sun, after my lily-white skin went a couple of shades darker, I felt more confident. You might not be able to see it in these photos, but I really did get some color, for me. Please keep in mind I wore serious sunscreen to protect myself. I’ve done tanning beds in the past, but won’t any longer. A natural glow from outdoor activities is not only free, but much more natural for your body, especially in moderation. Not to mention that Vitamin D, something we Seattleites don’t get nearly enough of.
To help you get your confidence on in your bikini this summer, or for any skin-baring activity you have planned, Waxing the City Ballard and I are giving away a $100 Gift Card to one lucky reader to use on products and/or services of their choice. The giveaway will run from Tuesday 7/12 to Tuesday 7/26 at midnight. Plus, you can enter everyday if you like! I can’t wait to see who gets it!
*Disclosure: I was provided with complimentary services from Waxing the City for this post. The $100 Waxing the City Gift Card was generously provided by the Ballard, Seattle location. That said, all opinions are my own and I’ve been so satisfied with my service I’ve become a regular customer.