For the first time in my adult life I have an office space in my apartment. It’s the best thing ever. I’ve been using my dining table as a makeshift office for as long as I can remember, in many apartments, on many different dining tables, or I’ve been balancing my laptop on my lap (proving the name “laptop” is still legit). I said it in a previous post, but I have to say again that this did not make me as productive as I know I can be. Since getting a real desk and a desktop computer, sitting down to work at my new little work station means putting on some good music (KEXP has live streaming!) and truly focusing on what I’d like to get done whether it’s teaching related, blogging related, managing my finances, managing my eBay sales, it goes on and on and on.
For full details on each of these items follow me after the jump.
1. Plush, Comfy Desk Chair I have long dreamed about having a desk. A real desk. And what goes with a desk but a lovely little chair. I’ve been pinning up a storm for home ideas, especially home offices, and I knew I wanted to find the perfect upholstered chair. On wheels, so it’s still mobile enough for a desk space, but upholstered and pretty enough to mesh with the other things in my home. Plus it was on sale from Wayfair at $148, down from $320 plus it comes with free shipping and two free years of Better Homes & Gardens magazine. Suffice it to say I was sold and it arrives today. Yay!
2., 3., & 8. Pretty, gold desk accessories Like most of the world, I too have become crazy for gold. I usually try to avoid home dec trends (chevron print still makes me wary) but this is one area I just couldn’t say no. These pieces are from Nate Berkus’s home office collection at Target and I picked them up at my local store on sale. They are still online, but it looks like they are not running the same sale. All of the items are solid and sturdy and great replacements for the same set I’d been using since high school. Plus, they’re just so darn pretty!
4 . Pretty Lamp One thing that’s taken me a bit longer to figure out is the lamp for my desk space. I wavered between going for a bold color, traditional style with a shade, printed, all white, etc. There’s pretty much no option I didn’t consider. I finally settled on task lighting, plus something that wouldn’t take up the entire desktop. This version from IKEA is pretty, affordable, won’t take up the whole table, and has some bits of black and white (on the exposed cords) and gold that will compliment the rest of my home decor nicely.
5. White Parsons-style Desk I’ve been dreaming about this white lacquer Parsons desk from West Elm for… a solid ten years. Yeah, you read that right. Back in 2005 I discovered the West Elm website and was transfixed. I just love the clean lines of the Parsons style, and the lacquer really picks up the light. This desk is $399 and I could never justify paying the high price tag. After a million and one Craigslist searches I finally found a gently used one for just $160. I talked the seller down to $140 and she even helped me load it into my car. Definitely my best deal of the year (so far).
6. Initial Coffee Mug I’ve had this Anthropologie coffee mug for many years and it’s always been one of my favorite things. I swear it’s like a blogger pre-requisite or something, like when you sign up for WordPress they just send it to you in the mail (haha!). I decided to start using it for the pens on my desk. I know I’m not the first genius to come up with this idea, but I sure like seeing it everyday. Plus, now they have a gold version! #iloveyoulittleinitialmug
7. Chic Desktop Organizer One of my big goals with my new home office is getting and keeping it organized, and there is no bigger saboteur than the mail. It comes everyday and unless I keep on top of it, it gets way out of hand. I keep a shredder under my desk to eliminate things, and anything that I use all the time or need to take care of right away goes into this little organizer basket. I love that it’s a little rustic compared to everything else on my desk. Plus, it’s another great pick from the Nate Berkus collection at Target.
9. Ribbon Bulletin Board One more thing I’d really like to find is a little ribbon bulletin board for the wall near my desk. I would love to have a little place to display some of my favorite photos and things. I like this black and white one for its simplicity and its price, but am still toying with the idea of making one with my own fabric and ribbon selections.
I’ll be sharing office area progress on future Happy Home posts very soon, along with my color blocked bookcase project.