Cleaning out and organizing your (my) closet is exhausting and treacherous work. For one thing, it’s just freakin’ obnoxious. It’s not exactly fun work and every time I attempt it I always feel like it’s 90-95% done. It never feels like 100%. There’s always a lame little pile of maybes that just won’t quite fit. I think the only possibility that this OCD crazy person will ever feel like it is complete is if I spent a ridiculous fortune one one of those elfa closet systems. As if.
Just as in my work life, I have dissected the successes and opportunities in the current state of my sad little closet. (My condolences if yours is smaller.) Here goes…
- Shoe Storage: Over the door rack for frequently worn shoes, plastic boxes to house seasonal and special occasion shoes: They’re easy to grab on a busy morning and easy to find for events.
- Matching Wooden Hangers:Everything hangs at the same level, wooden hangers are durable and metal hooks are easy to slide across the hangbar.
- Double hangbar: If you find yourself with a small closet like mine the double bar is a wonder! You can find it at the Container Store here. It’s a great way to separate tops from bottoms while still leaving room for dresses and other longer items.
What’s Not Working:
- Storage for folded items: I only get two of the five drawers in our shared marital bureau and have yet to sort through all of my folded items. Once I complete the sort, I’ll need better bins that will stack on the top shelf of my closet instead of these open top ones that fall into each other. I also need to accommodate more folded items considering this laundry basket is always overflowing at the end of our bed.
- Shoe storage, second thoughts: I’ve whittled down my shoe wardrobe considerably, but still have a hard time finding some things in my everyday life. While I like having something on the door, I think I might need to try something else. I’m thinking this open shelf option will hold many more in plain sight, leaving room for more storage boxes on the top shelf.
- It never feels like everything is put away: Which clearly proves that I need to do a lot more purging for this situation to work. Ugh.
Until I figure out exactly what to do and continue my sorting marathon, I still need to do my laundry. Double ugh.