1. I’m diving into organizing my insane media pile including books, CDs, and vinyl. I’m making some good headway, but still have a ways to go. It’s so cleansing to reorganize and purge some things each spring. Ahhhhh…
2. We attended the most lovely wedding in Leavenworth last weekend. It was up in the wood at Tierra Retreat Center and all of the wedding guests stayed in cabins on the property. The ceremony was outside (of course!) we had dinner and dancing in the lodge, then a quick siesta before a big bonfire and more dancing later that night under twinkle lights. It was a truly lovely weekend.
3. Teacher friends! I just got the book Reading in the Wild by Donalyn Miller and it is utterly fantastic. She’s known as “The Book Whisperer” and it is such a practical guide to fostering a love of reading in your classroom. I highly recommend it. I’m lucky enough to attend a training by The Teacher’s College (Lucy Calkins’ team) this summer and will be teaching a reader’s workshop model at summer school this year and can’t wait to dive in and build more skills in teaching reading. I’m a total work dork, but it’s going to be amazing!
4. Speaking of teaching, I tried out a new pinteresting art project for Earth Day this year through I Heart Crafty Things and put up some statistics on toilet paper tubes with them. Did you know over 17 billion toilet paper tubes are thrown away each year? Whoa… My students and I made them back into trees and we’ve gotten so many responses from kids and adults in our building. I love when a fun project is also a powerful learning tool.
5. Weekend before last, my boyfriend Jim, my friend Oliver and I went to the 5th Annual Taco Truck Challenge in nearby Volunteer Park hosted by local rock station 107.7 The End. I wore my Nirvana t-shirt and we basked in the sun and ate tacos from various venders. There were over 40 taco trucks lined up on this straight and narrow walkway in the park near the greenhouse and it was just the best afternoon. It’s one of my favorite Seattle things to do. If you have never been I highly suggest looking into this next April.
6. I am still loving coming home to my newly freshened up space and have been working on some more little changes since my post last week. I went ahead and bought the IKEA Kallax and my friend Oliver helped me put it together and haul out the old black-brown Billy bookcases. More to come in the next Happy Home post. I can’t wait to share it with you!